William H. Waggaman, 94, a chemist, metallurgist and expert in phosphate fertilizers, died Wednesday at Circle Terrace Hospital in Alexandria following a stroke. He lived in Alexandria.
Mr. Waggaman lived in this area most of his life and worked for both government and private industry.
He was the author of "Phosphoric Acid, Phosphates and Phosphatic Fertilizers," published by the American Chemical Society in 1927, and also contributed scientific articles to the old Saturday Evening Post and Collier's magazine, as well as to numerous scientific journals.
Mr. Waggaman began work as a research chemist with the bureau of soils of the Department of Agriculture in 1908, leaving in 1922 to enter private business.
He worked as a chemical engineer and researcher and served as an officer of a number of chemical companies, where he helped design special furnaces for the production of superphosphate from raw rock. He then returned to the government as a senior industrial specialist with the Bureau of Mines in the Department of the Interior, where he worked from the government in 1957.
Mr. Waggaman worked as an industrial analyst with the Defense Production Administration from 1951 to 1952, then joined the National Academy of Sciences as a staff metallurgist.
He returned to the Bureau of Mines in 1954 and worked as a senior mineral technologist until he retired from the government in 1957.
He continued to work as a private consultant until 1973.
Mr. Waggaman was born in Washington and attended Georgetown University and Catholic University.
He was the son of Dr. Samuel J. Waggaman, who taught pharmacy at Georgtown University and was one of Mosby's Rangers in the Confederate Army in the Civil War.
He is survived by two sons, William Jr., of Newark, Del., and Lewis W., of Baltimore; four daughters, Mary Louise Beck, of Baltimore, Muriel Callagy, of North Andover, Mass., Betty Jane Rodgers, of Nashville, and Jo Ann Waggaman, of Alexandria; a sister, Josephine M. Waggaman, of Washinton, 15 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren.
The family suggest that expressions of sympathy may be in the form of contributions to St. Mary's Catholic Church in Alexandria.