Two men were killed and a youth was wounded when an early morning attempted holdup of a Southeast Burger King restaurant yesterday resulted in an exchange of gunfire between the restaurant manager and the suspect, D.C. police said. Both men were killed and the manager's son wounded, police said.

Thomas Hollis Sr., 37, and his son Thomas Jr., 16, were closing the restaurant at 306 Southern Ave. S.E. at 4 a.m. police said, when a man pulled out a gun and told them to get the cash.

"I was taking out the trash and he pushed me . . . the next thing I knew I was shot in the left leg," said the youth, who was listed in good condition at Greater Southeast Community Hospital yesterday.

The youth said his head struck the floor after he was shot and he does not remember the exchange of gunfire that resulted in the death of his father.

Police said the manager pulled a handgun from behind the counter and exchanged fatal shots with his assailant.

Hollis Sr. was taken to D.C. General Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 5 a.m. of a gunshot wound to his chest, police said.

Police said the alleged assailant, 32-year-old Benny Walker, of 1307 7th St. NW, was taken to Greater Southeast Community Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 7:30 a.m.

Walker was a part-time employe for the Seabrook Security Agency in College Park, which provides security for retail stores such as People's Drugs, a spokeswoman for the company said.

The spokesman said Walker was a full-time employe of the D.C. public school system where he has worked for the past five years as a janitor.

Hollis Jr., of 5516 Livingston Ter., Oxon Hill, was still feeling the effects of medication as he spoke to a reporter on the telephone. Hollis told the reporter he had only heard later from police that his father had been killed during the shootout.

Police said yesterday they were not sure whether the suspect entered the restaurant from the front or rear. They said they were continuing their investigation yesterday.