Three Fairfax County youths will not be prosecuted in the death of their 15-year-old friend who died from alcohol poisoning after a drinking bout with them, according to Fairfax County prosecutor Robert F. Horan Jr.
After the four youths began drinking at one of the youth's homes last November, Stephen O'Donnell of 4910 Strayer Ct. lost consciousness and the other three hid him under some shrubbery in a neighbors backyard hoping he would sober up and go home, Horan said yesterday.
O'Donnell died from ethanol (grain alcohol) poisoning after drinking "three or four 8-ounce glasses" of vodka and scotch drinks prepared by one of the other teen-agers, a 13-year-[TEXT OMITTED FROM SOURCE]
"After the investigation was complete, we were satisfied that no one forced him to drink it," Horan said. "The amount of alcohol he had very few juveniles could tolerate . . . in a very short time."
Horan said that at one point O'Donnell's blood was .43 percent alcohol. A person whose blood contains .1 percent alcohol is considered under the influence of alcohol in driving situations, Horan said.
Tests showed O'Donnell had not been taking drugs, Horan said.
According to those who knew O'Donnell, a Mount Vernon High School freshman, he often was the butt of jokes. O'Donnell suggested the drinking bout as an initiation rite into "membership" in a makeshift fort he and two others had built near Fort Belvoir, friends said.
On the day after last Thanksgiving, O'Donnell left with two 15-year-old companions for the makeshift fort in a wooden grove on the Fort Belvoir grounds.
When the boys returned to the neighbor's home, O'Donnell said he wanted to drink hard liquor, according to a police report. The 13-year-old brother of one of the youth poured drinks of vodka and grenadine and scotch and grenadine and O'Donnell drank three or four full glasses, Horan said.
After three hours O'Donnell lost consciousness and the two brothers who lived in the house tried to revive O'Donnell by placing him in the shower, police said.At his point, Horan said, the youth probably was in a coma.
Then the youths wrapped O'Donnell in a blanket and carried him to a wooden barn-like storage shed behind their house and left him there until the predawn hours of Nov. 29.
'It looked like his situation was pretty hopeless at that point" when O'Donnell was placed outside, Horan said.
The youths were hoping O'Donnell would wake up and go home so their parents would not find out about the drinking, Horan said.