Dr. Lewis S. Terry, 73, who founded the Eithical Prescription Pharmacy in Washington in 1928 and operated it until he sold the business in 1966, died of respiratory failure Sunday at Doctors Hospital. He had been suffering from cancer.
After selling the pharmacy, Dr. Terry became a consulting pharmacist to the group Health Association until his retirement in 1972.
He was born in Reading, Pa., and grew up in Pleasantville, N.J. He graduated from the Temple University College of Pharmacy in 1928 and moved to Washington to start his business in the same year.
In 1952, Dr. Terry was a consultant to the British Ministry of Health under the auspices of the National Pharmaceutical Association. The following year he was a panelist for the Florida State Medical Association and received the Man of the Year Award from the Temple University College of Pharmacy Alumni Association.
Dr. Terry was a member of the American Pharmaceutical Association and of the National Pharmaceutical Association.
He was a member of the Woodridge Civic Association and in 1966 received the District of Columbia's Meritorious Public Service Award for this community work. He also was a member of the NAACP. He was a 33d degree Mason and a member of the Supreme Council of the Southern Jurisdiction. He was a past master of Eureka Lodge No. 5.
Survivors include his wife, Avis, of the home in Washington, and two brothers, Dr. Frank Lee Terry, of Reading, Pa., and Dr. Paul S. Terry, of Philadelphia.
The family suggest that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Cancer Research Center, Howard University Hospital, Washington.