George V. Menke, 70, an official of the Montgomery County Board of Education for 20 years, died of cancer Monday at a Cape Canaveral, Fla., hospital.
Mr. Menke was born in Washington. He earned bachelor's and master's degrees in history at Catholic University. While an undergraduate played guard on the football team and was captain of the team in 1929. He also was on the crew team.
After earning a certificate in history and international affairs at the University of Berlin in the early 1930s, he returned to Washington. He then worked in the D.C. Public Libarary and served as an assistant coach of the American University football.
As the library he met and married his first wife, Doroth G. Menke, was died in 1972.
He worked for the Mongtomery Country finance in the early 40s. During World War II, Mr. Menke was with the southeast region of the USO and served in the Maryland Militia.
He worked for the Maryland-National Capital park and Planning Commision activities for parks and buildings. He also served for a time durin the late 1940s as town clerk of Kensington.
Mr. Menke moved to Barnesville, Md., in 1950. He was director of site arquisition and then director of the operations division of the Montgomery County Board of Education before retiring in 1970.
He moved to Florida in 1975.
Mr. Menke was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Barnesville.
He belonged to the Knights of Columbus, the Kensington Chamber of Commerce and the American Association of School Business Officials of Maryland the District of Columbia.
He is survived by his second wife, Elaine C., of the home in Cape Canaveral; three sons, George G., John L., and Peter T., all of Barnseville; four sisters, Marie Burnham and Catherine Menke, both of Hillcrest Heights, and Agnes Menke and Margaret Hales, both of Ritchie Park, Md., and six grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to St. Mary's Catholic Church or the American Cancer Society.