John H. Carper, 82, a former chief of the Fairfax County Volunteer Fire Department and a road contractor and landscaper in the county for many years, died at Fairfax Hospital Sunday following a heart attack.
Mr. Carper, who lived in McLean, was the nonprofessional chief of the Fairfax department from 1936 to 1951. From 1951 to 1969 he was presi-Volunteer Firemen's Association and in World War II he was commander of the McLean civil defense unit. He was chairman of the County Board of Fire Commissioners from 1946 until 1960.
Mr. Carper was born in the Belleview section of Fairfax County near the present Madeira School. His family later moved to the McLean area, where they operated a dairy farm until 1959.
Mr. Carper himself went into the road contracting and landscaping business in 1930. He was a partner in the firm of J.H. and O.V. Carper, Contractors, until his retirement in the early 1970s.
He was a past master of the Sharon Lodge, A.F.A.M., and a past deputy of the 54th Masonic District. He was a charter member of the Kena Lodge. He also was a member of the Lions International and Chapter No. 63, Order of the Eastern Star.
Survivors include three brothers, HalmerH., Stanley T., and British M., all of McLean, and a sister, Mary E. Guilford, also of McLean.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the McLean of the Volunteer Fire Department, or to the Building Fund of the Sharon Lodge Temple Corp.