Matt S. Szymczak, 83, who served on the board of governors of the Federal Reserve System from 1933 to 1961, died Wednesday at a nursing home in Evanston, Ill.

He was also an adviser to the U.S. delegation at the international monetary and financial conference held at Bretton Woods, N.H., in July 1944. This conference led to the establishment of both the International Monetary Fund and the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development.

From July to September 1944, he served as chairman of the mission to London for the Foreign Economic Administration working on reconstruction problems of Belgium.

Mr. Szymczak was then appointed chief of the trade and commerce branch of the economics division of the Office of the Military Government of Germany from July 1946 to February 1947. He was named director of the economics division by Gen. Lucius Clay, and served from February to June 1947.

He retired from the Federal Reserve System in June 1961, and became an economic consultant to a number of firms dealing in government securities.

Mr. Szymczak continued to teach at Georgetown University, an activity he began in 1953, and also served on the university's board of regents. He was also a member of the executive board of the Center For Strategic Studies and directed a number of bankers' forums at the university's graduate school.

Mr. Szymczak was born in Chicago. He was a graduate of St. Mary's College in Kentucky and earned bachelor's and master's degree at DePaul University in Chicago.

He was active in real estate and building and loan associations in the Chicago area, and served as an officer of two banks in Chicago during the late 1920s and early 1930s.

Mr. Szymczak taught at DePaul University from 1918 to 1933, and later lectured at the University of Wisconsin, the University of Chicago, and American University.

He was elected clerk of the Superior Court of Cook County, Ill., (which includes Chicago) in 1928, and then comptroller of the city of Chicago in 1931, a post he held until joining the Federal Reserve two years later.

Mr. Szymczak was active in the American Red Cross while living in Washington. He served as chairman of the blood donor committee during World War II, and served for a time on the board of directors of the Washington chapter of the Red Cross.

He was a member of the Metropolitan Club and Kenwood Golf Country Club here.