Charles Taliaferro Lindsay, 74, founder and chairman of the board of Lindsay Cadillac Co. in Alexandria, died Monday at Alexandria Hospital after a heart attack.
He had bought the company in 1963 from Akers Oldsmobile - Cadillac Co. in Alexandria, where he had been general sales manager since 1949.
Mr. Lindsay was born in Washington. After graduation from McKinley High School, he worked in the parts departments of Washington Cadillac Co. and Ford Motor Co. here. He also was in sales and service with two dealerships here before World War II.
During the war, Mr. Lindsay worked as a civilian for the War Department in Washington and Detroit. After the war, he became sales manager for Capitol Cadillac Co. before joining Akers.
He was a past president of the Automotive Trade Association National Capital Area, the Northern Virginia Dealer Association and the Virginia Automotive Trade Association. In 1973, he was selected for a Time Magazine Quality Dealer Award.
Mr. Lindsay also was a past president of the Arlington Chamber of Commerce, director of the Fairfax Chamber of Commerce, director of Junior Achievement, president of the Kiwanis Club of Arlington and chairman of the board of the Salvation Army.
He recently had retired as a director of the Virginia National Bank. He belonged to the Washington Golf and Country Club.
He is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Cox, of the home in Arlington, two sons, Charles T. Jr., of Arlington, and John R., of Alexandria; two sisters, Bessie Waldell and Ella Ettenger, both of Alexandria, and four grandchildren.