Dr. Patrick J. Sullivan, 72, a retired U.S. Public Health Service officer, died Sunday at Anne Arundel General Hospital in Annapolis after a heart attack.
He had been in charge of the federal employes health clinic at the Department of Health, Education and Welfare here for two years before his retirement in 1970.
Dr. Sullivan then was a staff physician at Fort McPherson, Ga., for several years. After living in Norfolk for two years, he moved to Annapolis two months ago.
He was born in Holyoke, Mass., and graduated from Notre Dame University. He earned his medical degree at the University of Lausanne, Switzerland.
From 1938 to 1944, Dr. Sullivan practiced in Puerto Rico under its department of health programs. He was commissioned in the USPHS in 1944 and served in the European theater during the last years of World War II.
After the war, he supervised and co-ordinated U.S. medical activities related to the United Nations Relief and rehabillitation Administration's [WORD ILLEGIBLE] programs in Germany, Greece, France and Poland. He also was physicain at the U.S. embassies from London and Germany.
Dr. Sullivan was chief of a medical mission in Nicaragua for two years. He served with USPHS hospitals in New York and Indian hospitals and clinics in South Dakota and Oregon, before coming here in l966 as a staff physician specializing in industrial medicine at the National Institutes of Health.
He is survived by his wife, Mary, of the home in Annapolis; three daughters, Patricia Sullivan, of Virginia Beach, Yvonne Forney, of Myrtle Beach, S.C. and Christiane Krug, of Annapolis, a sister, Rose T. Sullivan, of Holyoke, and four grandchildren