Ulysses Griffith IV, 70, of Laytonsville farmer who served in the Maryland House of Delegates during the 1940s, died Sunday at his home following a heart attack.
Mr. Griffith owned and operated a 375 acre farm and had been active in Montgomery County Democratic politics for many years when he was elected to the House in 1942. During his four-year House career he served on the agricultural and fisheries committees.
He had been president of the Upper Montgomery County Democratic Club, the Laytonsville Volunteer Fire Department, and the Laytonsville Lions Club.
He was a member of the Montgomery County Farm Bureau.
During the 1950s, he served for a time as chairman of the Upper Montgomery County Planning Commission.
He was clerk of the District Court of Montgomery County from 1957 to 1978.
Mr. Griffith was a native of Laytonsville. He was a graduate of Strayer Business College.
He was a member of St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in Laytonsville, where he had been a junior warden and member of the vestry.
He is survived by a daughter, Jane Ann, and a son. Ulysses V. both of the home, and a sister, Ann G. Young, of Baltimore.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Laytonsville District Volunteer Fire Department memorial fund.