Lt. Col. Jack B. Phillips, 57, who retired in 1965 after 20 years of service with the Marine Corps, died of cardiac arrest Sept. 26 at the Commonwealth Doctors Hospital in Fairfax. He lived in Clifton, Va.
Col. Phillips served with the 1st Marine Division in China in 1946 and 1947, and later with the 2nd Marine Division. During the early 1950s he was stationed at the Pentagon.
After his retirement from the Marine Corps, he worked for the Boeing Co. in Morton. Pa. In 1971, he returned here and worked as a consultant for the Department of Health, Education and Welfare and for the EG&-G Washington Analytical Services Center in Arlington, an engineering science management firm.
He had started to work recently with Science Applications Inc., of McLean.
Col. Phillips was born in Milwaukee, and grew up in Minneapolis. In 1945, he earned a bachelor's degree in science from the University of Virginia at Charlottesville. He earned a master's degree in science from the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School at Monterey, Calif., in 1960.
He was president of the Clifton Lions Club and on the advisory board of the Old Dominion Eye Bank and Research Foundation.
Survivors include his wife, Nancy Hutter Phillips, and a daughter, Nancy, of the home, and a sister, Helen Hochanadel, of Oak Ridge, Tenn.