John A. Taylor, 50, a rehabilitation specialist with D. C. Department of Housing and Community Development, died Tuesday at Providence Hospital. He suffered from a heart ailment.
He had been with the department since 1970 and had helped many city residents, particularly in the Shaw area, to rehabilitate their homes. He also supervised the restoration of the Mary McLeod Bethune home at 1318 Vermont Ave. NW, which is owned by the National Council of Negro Women.
Mr. Taylor was born in Belgarde, N.C. He came to Washington as a boy and graduated from Armstrong High School. He served in Germany with the Army during 1945-47.
Mr. Taylor became a real estate salesman with Leonard Vogel Inc., in 1959. He served as vice president of the firm for three years before leaving in 1968. He then was a housing inspector for the D.C. government for two years.
Mr. Taylor was a member of the International Association of Y's Men, a support club of the YMCA, and the Men's Club of Metropolitan Baptist Church.
He had a summer home at Millpoint in St. Marys County, Md., and was chairman of the board of the Millpoint Improvement Association and commodore of the Millpoint Boat Club.
He is survived by his wife, Mattia G., a son, John Goodrum, and a daughter, Aurelia P., all of the home in Washington; another son, John A. Jr., and another daughter, Constance D., both of Washington; a brother, C. Ray Young, and a sister, Norma Lewis, both of Washington, and another sister, Velma Young, of Laurel.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy may be in the form of contributions to the American Heart Association.