Frank R. McGregor, 79, a retired management and government consultant, died Thursday at his Washington home after a stroke.
He was senior partner of Frank R. McGregor and Associates, a management consulting firm, from 1953 until retiring in the early 1970s.
During the 1950s, he worked as a consultant to the Defense Department's Munitions Board and helped reorganize the department's small business program.
Mr. McGregor was a field counselor for the old Mutual Security Agency in 1952. He was vice president for operations of the Commodity Credit Corporation and a deputy administrator of the Commodity Stabilization Service in the 1950s.
He received the Agriculture Department's Distinguished Service Award with gold ribbon in 1959.
Mr. McGregor was born in Timblin, Pa., and attended Bucknell University.
He moved to New York City in 1924 and directed a construction firm and worked in public relations before coming to Washington in the 1930s to represent the cement industry before the old Public Contracts Board.
After working as vice president of the National Association of Manufacturers in New York, he returned to Washington in 1941 as field management chief of the old War Production Board.
Mr. McGregor served with the Navy in Washington during World War II, rising to the rank of commander, and did liaison work with Congress. He served on a presidential mission to the Far East at the end of the war.
He was given a commendation with ribbon by Navy Secretary James Forrestal in 1944, and was awarded the Legion of Merit in 1946.
He moved to St. Louis after the war, where he worked for a container corporation and served as a special adviser to the mayor and the city's airport commission. He returned to Washington in 1949.
Mr. McGregor was chieftain of Clan Gregor from 1974 through 1976, and was a trustee of the St. Andrew's Society.
He is survived by his wife, M. Louisa, of the home.