Lewis A. Johnson, 82, who founded the Lewis A. Johnson contracting firm here and served as its president until his retirement in 1960, died Sunday at his Silver Spring home following a heart attack.
Mr. Johnson, a native of Culpeper, Va., moved to Washington in 1925. Before establishing his company in 1936, he had worked in the construction industry here and in Culpeper and taught construction skills at the Phelps-Armstrong Vocational High School here.
He was active in the Washington business community and in civic and charitable organizations. In 1934, he became the first depositor with the industrial Bank of Washington and was instrumental in helping the bank obtain its federal charter.
He also was active in the Washington Urban League, the American Civil Liberties Union and was a life member and a Golden Heritage member of the NAACP.
In addition, he held memberships in the National Business League, the Metropolitan Washington Board of Trade, the D.C. Chamber of Commerce, the Metropolitan Contractors Association and the National Retired Teachers Association.
He was a member of the Tamarack Triangle Civil Association and the Senior Citizens of Colesville. He was a longtime member of the Nineteenth Street Baptist Church and of it's Men's Club.
Mr. Johnson served in the Navy from 1918 to 1921.
Survivors include his wife, Ella, of the home in Silver Spring; a daughter, Jennie J. Elliott; two sisters, Mary J. Sprow and Marion J. Ricks, and one grandchild, all of Washington.