In yesterday's editions of The Washington Post, an obituary on Llewellyn J. Scott referred to the founder of the Catholic worker movement as the late Dorothy Day. At present Miss Day is living in New York City and still writing for The Catholic Worker newspaper, which she cofounded. The Post regrets the error.

Llewellyn J. Scott, 86, a native of Washington who founded and operated the St. Martin de Porres Hospice, a home for indigent men here for more than 30 years, died of cancer Sunday at his Washington home.

Mr. Scott founded the hospice in 1935, in the midst of the Depression, after hearing the late Dorothy Day, founder of the Catholic worker movement, speak at a conference on the poor.

For 27 years, the center was located in a building on I Street in Northeast Washington that Mr. Scott had bought with his life savings. In 1962, the Northeast urban renewal project forced its relocation to 12th Street NE. About 1967, Mr Scott closed the center, and it now houses the Third Order of St. Francis.

Mr. Scott worked as a clerk for the department of the Army, and later, the Department of Defense for nearly 20 years, until he retired in 1960.

In addition, he ran the hospice-virtually by himself for the first 12 years, later with the help of volunteers-where he supervised the cleaning and daily operation, conducted evening religious services and worked with underprivileged children.

He never married and his earnings went directly into the operation of the hospice. He even wore clothing that had been donated to the center, refusing to buy anything new.

Mr. Scott considered the abuse of alcohol to be a contributing factor in the debilitation of the men who came to the shelter for help, and for many years he had a pet watchdog, named Toby the Teetotaler, who sniffed out any liquor being smuggled into the hospice on the persons of indigent men.

By 1960, the hospice, named for St. Martin de Porres, the 17th-century South American black who devoted his life to the poor, had served more than 9,000 men and Mr. Scott had received more than 4,000 letters of thanks.

Born of Baptist parents, Mr. Scott converted to the Catholic faith as a youth. He was sponsored by the wife of the then Army surgeon general, Brig. Gen. John A. Moore, who had nursed him when he suffered from rickets.

Mr. Scott served in the Army in Europe during world War I. He entered college at the age of 25 and graduated from Howard University. He dis grad-worked as a social worker before joining the Defense Department.

In 1961, Mr. Scott was one of five recipients of the D.C. Federation of Civic Associations' outstanding achievement award.

He had met three Catholic pontiffs-Pope Pius XII, Pope John XXIII and Pope Paul VI - and in 1959 was honored by Pope John with a papal award.

He served as a delegate to the National Catholic Council for interracial Justice, and in 1959, was elected head of the D.C. Council of that organization. He also was a member of the Third Order of St. Francis.

In 1956, Howard University recognized him with its alumni award "for outstanding postgraduate achievement."

In 1975, Mr. Scott addressed the First Friday Club of the D.C. Catholic Archdiocese and said: "Sometimes, after I had spent all of my money and all that was given to the hospice, I turned to prayer. And God provided a $20 bill from a stranger I had never seen and who did not even leave his name."Survivors include a brother, Charles S., of Buffalo, N.Y., and two sisters, Evelyn E. Scott and Helen S. Turner, both of Washington.