Francis P. Brassor, 78, a government management and personnel expert who retired in 1958 with 37 years of service, died at Montgomery General Hospital in Olney Tuesday following a heart attack.
Mr. Brassor served as secretary and director of personnel at the Securities and Exchange Commission from 1934 to 1942, as first direction of the bureau of management services in the Civl Service Commission in the 1950s, and as executive secretary of both Hoover commissions on the reorganization of the government.
He also helped organize the Philippine War Damage Commission in 1946, the Subversive Activities Control Board in 1950, and helped reorganize the State Department's passport office in 1955 and 1956.
In 1958, he was an adviser and management consultant to the Commission on Civil Rights in addition to his work with the Civil Service Commission.
After leaving the government, Mr. Brassor joined the faculty of American University and set up an administrative management program for officials from developing countries. He retired in 1965, and became professor emeritus. Until about 10 years ago, he also was a private management consultant.
Mr. Brassor was born in Winooski, Vt. He served in the Army in World War I and then moved to Washington. He began his government career in 1920 as a clerk in the Commerce Department. A year later, he joined the old Bureau of Internal Revenue and remained there until 1928.
He then transferred to the Civil Service Commission. He worked on its personnel classification board and then the board of appeals and revie. He joined the Securities and Exchange Commission when it was organized in 1934 as part of the Roosevelt administration's New Deal.
In the meantime, Mr. Brassor had earned a degree in business administration and two law degrees by attending night classes at the old Columbus University, now a part of Catholic University. He was an assistant dean of the school of accounting and business administration at Columbus and a member of its law faculty in addition to his government work.
Mr. Brassor later maintained a home in Boynton Beach, Fla., in addition to his home in Silver Spring. For several years he was part-time lecturer on public administration at Florida State University.
He was a member of the Society for Personnel Administration and the American Society for Public Administration. He also was a trustee-emeritus of Government Services Inc.
Survivors include his wife, the former Anna Cooper, of the home in Silver Spring; a daughter, Lois B. Blevins, of Arlington; a son, Lawrence P., of Tampa, Fla., a brother, Edward, of Burlington, Vt.; two sisters, Mrs. Joseph Chretien and Mrs. Charles Nagelschmidt, both of Pittsfield, Mass., and five grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to a charity of one's choice.