Philip J. Franklin, 70, director of the chemical and paint division in the federal supply service of the General Services Administration, died Monday at Doctors Hospital after a heart attack.
He was selected by GSA in 1968 to establish the materials evaluation and development laboratory of the federal supply service and served as the labortory's director until 1973.
Mr. Franklin came to Washington in 1942 to work as a physicist in the ordnance division of the National Bureau of Standards. He later was head of the materials and engineering group there.
From 1951 to 1962, he was chief of the materials and components laboratory of the Harry Diamond Ordnance Fuse Laboratory. He then spent three years as program director for the advanced research project agency in the office of the secretary of defense. He returned to the Bureau of Standards for another three years before joining GSA.
He had received a meritorious service award from the Bureau of Standards and an achievement award from the Diamond Laboratory.
He received patents for seven inventions and was coinventor of six more. He was the author of numerous publications in his field.
Mr. Franklin was born in Riverside, Calif. A graduate of the University of California at Los Angeles, he took postgraduate work at the University of Southern California.
He taught in the Los Angeles school system before coming to Washington.
Mr. Franklin was a member of the American Chemical Society, the American Physical Society and the Society of Radio Engineers. He was a fellow of the Washington Academy of Sciences, the American Institute of Chemists and the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers.
The IEEE was scheduled to honor him in May as corecipient of its Cledo Brunette Award. He had been active in the Cosmos Club since 1955.
He is survived by his wife, Lillian M., and a daughter, Jocelyn, both of the home in Bethesda.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Heart Fund or the memorial fund of Cleveland Park Congregational Church.