An escaped convict allegedly abducted, raped and shot a 13-year-old girl in Gaithersburg late Wednesday night, within hours of the time a Columbia woman was shot by a stranger in a parking lot a few miles away, Montgomery County police reported.

The convict, 28-year-old Albert Dove Jr., was shot and slightly wounded by Frederick County police a few hours later after a brief automobile chase, police said.

Montgomery County police have named Dove in a warrant charging him with kidnaping the girl. Dove, who escaped from the state's minimum-security facility in Jessup last month, is also being investigated in connection with the second shooting.

The wounded girl was left lying along Big Woods Road, south of the Frederick County town of Urbana. Her screams for help alerted area residents, and state police found her there at 9:15.

The girl was in critical condition late yesterday in the Baltimore Shock Trauma Center, according to hospital officials. The other shooting victim, Elizabeth L. Hakala, 53, who was wounded in the abdomen, was also in critical condition, officials said.

Police believe the 13-year-old was hitchhiking when she was kidnaped, but the girl's older sister and friends, who described her as "shy and quiet," find that difficult to believe.

There were conflicting accounts of why the 13-year-old was walking alone in Gaithersburg.

A close friend, fighting back tears as she talked, said the girl had walked her and her older brother part of the way home on Wednesday night, and the three had parted in front of the Montgomery County Country Club driveway on Laytonsville Road in Gaithersburg.

From there, according to a friend, the girl had said she was walking to her home in Derwood about 3 miles away.

The girl's older sister, however, said that a brother had driven the 13-year-old to visit friends in Gaithersburg, and she did not return home by her 10 p.m. curfew.

Montgomery police said they believe the two shootings and the abduction were preceded by a car theft at Chick's Restaurant, in Cooksville, just across the Howard County line from Montgomery.

Police sources alleged that Dove had been driving in that area with a girlfriend when his car ran into a ditch. He walked away on his own and apparently hitchhiked to Chick's, sources said, where he allegedly stole the car.

Dove was arrested by Frederick police, after they noted an individual parked in a station wagon that matched the description of the stolen vehicle.

The suspect fled in the car, and rammed into a private car and a police cruiser while trying to escape.

Dove, who was shot in the arm and hip, was in fair condition yesterday at Montgomery General Hospital.

Police began firing at Dove's car after Dove repeatedly ignored orders to stop, according to Inspector Paul Mossburg of the Frederick city police.

Dove, whose last address was 1325 First St., Rockville, was sentenced last year to four years in prison for assault and battery. Last month, he was transferred from the Maryland House of Corrections in Jessup to the Brock-ridge Corrections Unit, a prerelease center nearby for inmates who are awaiting a parole hearing.

Dove escaped from that unit on Feb. 18 after he had received some visitors, according to Major Merle Turner of the House of Corrections.

Dove had served time previously for carrying a concealed weapon and grand larcency, Turner said.