George Bonzille Kebe Jr., the 21-year-old Southeast Washington man charged with the slaying Saturday of an 18-year-old Georgetown University woman student, was ordered held for five days without bond yesterday by a D.C. Superior Court judge.

Assistant U.S. Attorney David Stanley told Judge Joseph M. Hannon that the government had "very strong evidence" against Kebe, including the discovery of Kebe's fingerprints at the scene of the slaying. In addition, Stanley told the judge, Kebe had given police "a full and detailed" account of the slaying.

Hannon ordered Kebe, who is being represented by court-appointed attorney James Joyner, held without bond until a preliminary hearing Monday. Kebe also is charged in a robbery Tuesday that led to his arrest.

According to records presented in court yesterday, Kebe is waiting a March 21 hearing in an embezzlement case in which he is alleged to have stolen money from his employer of two weeks ago, the Dart Drug store at 1901 Wisconsin Ave. NW.

Court records also indicate that Kebe, who lives at 2363 Ainger Pl. SE, was paroled July 19 from the federal prison in Tallahassee, Fla., where he was serving six to eight years for receiving stolen property. Kebe also has been convicted of a simple assault charge that was not described in the court files.

Kebe, who appeared relaxed when he entered the courtroom yesterday wearing a grey pullover sweater, white shirt and dark trousers, was arrested Tuesday afternoon shortly after the robbery of Baracat Imports, a jewelry shop at 2030 T St., NW.

According to court records, Kebe is accused of entering the store about 1 p.m., where he asked to be shown an assortment of engagement rings. After examining and discussing the jewelry for an hour, Kebe grabbed several items from a counter and ran out of the store, according to the records.

Kebe was chased by the store owner, Gabriel Baracat around the corner and into the Empress Restaurant at 1875 Connecticut Ave. NW, where Baracat helped subdue and hold Kebe until police arrived, according to court and police records.

While Kebe was being handcuffed by police, he said to Baracat: "You caught me, huh? I didn't know you could run so fast," according to court records.

According to these records, Kebe entered the Regent Place men's cloth-in gshop Saturday afternoon, where he confronted Maureen Alison McGrath, a freshman in Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service.

An autopsy performed by the D.C. medical examiner's office determined that McGrath was strangled. Stanley said she also was stabbed.

In Kebe's low-income neighborhood of two-story attached houses, residents interviewed yesterday were visibly shaken by the events surrounding Kebe's arrest for the slaying and robbery. One resident described Kebe as "more intelligent than most" of his associates and as a person who always dressed well.

A janitor at the Woodland Terrace recreation center near Kebe's home said Kebe came to the center often to play table tennis and air hockey.

At the Dart Drug store where he was formerly employed, most employes said they were shocked by his arrest. "I just can't believe he killed somebody," said one employe. Another employe described Kebe as particularly alert to shoplifters.

"If is suspected someone of shoplifting, he would say to the manager. 'Hey, watch that dude in aisle five,'" one employe said. One Saturday shortly before he left Dart Drug, Kebe caught a young man shoplifting and called the police, an employe said.