Lt. John Edward Stout, 53, assistant district commander of the Bowie-Marlboro police station in Bowie and a veteran of 30 years with the Prince George's County Police Department, died of cardiac arrest Monday at the station.
Lt. Stout who had a heart ailment, was on duty at the time.
He was appointed assistant district commander in 1978 and had been a lieutenant since 1969. He previously had been a watch commander in the special operations division and spent one year with the detective bureau.
Lt. Stout earned 22 commendations during his police career, which began in 1949 when he became a desk clerk with the department. He became a police officer in 1952, and was assigned to Prince George's districts 1, 2, and 3 before becoming a lieutenant.
He was born in Bement, Ill., and came to this area with his family as an infant. He graduated from Bladensburg High School.
He also had served as a volunteer firefighter for the past 30 years and was one of the first fire dispatchers in Seat Pleasant. In 1953, he became a member of the Kentland Volunteer Fire Department and later served as the department chief. He also was a delegate to firefighter conventions for many years.
Lt. Stout lived in Mitchellville, Md. He was a member of the Yrok Masonic Lodge in Cheverly and was active in Grace Lutheran Church in Bowie, where he was a Sunday school teacher and a sponsor of youth organizations.
Survivors include his wife, Virginia Ann; a daughter, Susan J., and four stepchildren, Carolyn E. Steinat, Laurence A. Steinat, Patricia D. Steinat, and Robert A. Steinat, all of the home in Mitchellville, and two brothers, Leon, of Landover, and Wayne, of Potomac.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the John Edward Stout Memorial Fund, in care of Grace Lutheran Church, Bowie, or to the Prince George's County chapter of the American Heart Association.