Nicky Sheridan, 61, a commercial photographer and part-time diving coach, died of cancer March 8 at Prince George's General Hospital.

Mr. Sheridan began working as a professional photographer in 1959 in Prince George's County. A licensed pilot and a specialist in color and aerial photography, he often took pictures from his single-engine, high-performance airplane while flying solo.

He came to this area in 1940 and worked in the printing service of the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Department of the Post Office, and sold insurance before becoming a professional photographer.

During this time he also worked as a part-time diving coach at the old Ambassador Hotel, St. Alban's School in Washington and the Northern Virginia Aquatic Club.

Mr. Sheridan was born in Rochester, N.Y. He grew up in Brooklyn, N.Y., and attended Brooklyn College.

During World War II, he was stationed on Guam where he was a navigator on B-29 bombing missions to Japan.

After the war, he enrolled in the University of Maryland, where he also served as student coach of the men's diving team and as staff photographer for the college yearbook and newspaper.

Mr. Sheridan won a number of diving championships in Brooklyn in the 1930s and '40s, when he represented the St. George Hotel's Dragon Club diving team in junior national diving competitions, taking first place in the indoor and outdoor, low-board and high-board diving events.

He was a member of the Beth Messiah Congregation in Rockville, the Professional Photographers of America and the Maryland Professional Photographers. He also had been a member of the Prince George's Rod and Gun Club.

Survivors include his wife, Bernice S., of the home in Beltsville; a son, Dennis N., of Kensington; two daughters, Adrianne Lucke, of Arlington, and Sandra S. Thompson, of Wheaton; a brother, Alfred, of Brooklyn, and two grandchildren.

The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the nicky Sheridan Memorial Fund, Beth Messiah Congregation.