Dr. R. Frank Jones, 82, retired medical director of the Freedmen's Hospital who was active in Washington civic affairs, died Friday at George Washington University Hospital after a heart attack.
He served as Freedmen's medical director from 1958 until his retirement in 1970. He also had taught urology at Howard University's medical school for 40 years. Dr. Jones was president of the Washington Urban League for five years during the 1950s, and was a member of the board of directors of the National Urban League for eight years during the 1960s.
He also served as a member of the Washington Housing Association and as a director of the United Givers Fund during the 1950s.
He was appointed to the old Human Relations Council in 1958 and served as its chairman in the 1963s. He also sat on the old D.C. Commissioners Urban Renewal Council.
He was named "Man of the Year" by the YMCA in 1958 for his work in community activity.
Dr. Jones was a native of Washington and a 1914 graduate of Armstrong Technical High School. He earned both bachelor's and medical degrees at Howard University.
He served his internship at Freedmen's and began a general practice of medicine in Washington in 1923. Sevenyears later he limited his private practice to urology.
Dr. Jones became one of the first two black doctors accepted on the medical staff of Georgetown University in 1954. He also held appointments at D.C. General Hospital, and Sibley Memorial Hospital. He was a consultant to the v.a. h/ospital in Washington from 1957 to the early 1970s. He also was a senior surgeon with the U.S. Public Health Service.
He was chief urologist at Freedmen's from 1933 until becoming medical director of Freedment's. At the time of his appointment in 1958 as medical director, Dr. Jones was Acting Dean of Howard University's College of Medicine.
In May 1978, he received an honorary doctorate from Howard University for his service as a "distinguished urologist" and as a "dedicated civic leader".
Dr. Jones had been president of the Medical Chirurgical Society, the John A. Andrew Medical Society, and the Association of Former Internes and Residents of Freedment's Hospital.
His other professional memberships included the American College of Surgeons, the National Medical Association, the Medical Society of the District of Columbia, the International College of Surgeons, and the Association of Abdominal Surgeons.
His wife, Esther S. Jones, died in 1976.
Dr. Jones was a resident of Washington.
Survivors include a sister, Eloise J. LeCompte, of Washington.