Two young men were reported missing and he subjects of an intensive search in the Potomac River yesterday after their outboard motorboat capsized south of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

One of three persons originally in the 14-foot craft reached safety after the accident, which occurred around midnight Friday, authorites reported. He was identified as Timothy Johnson, 18, of Nokesville in Prince William County.

The Coast Guard halted its search for the other two at nightfall yesterday. They were identified as Eddie Strong, 19, of Alexandria and Danny Hunt, 18, of 1806 Rollins Dr., in Fairfax County.

According to the Coast Guard, the three men were about 1 1/2 miles downstream from Wilson Bridge when the boat capsized "for an unknown reason."

All three were thrown into the water, the Coast Guard said, and according to available accounts, they began swimming toward shore.

After reaching mudflats on the Virginia shore near the Belle Haven Marina, according to the Coast Guard, Johnson turned to call to his comapanions.

He attracted the attention of a passing boat, which picked him up and, the Coast Guard said, apparently began a search for the two other men.

Failing to locate them in the dark water, the boat put in at the marina at 12:48 and authorities were notified.

A large-scale search began that grew to include helicopters from the Marine Corps station at Quantico, the U.S. Park Police and the Maryland State Police, as well as Coast Guard ad Maryland Marine Police boats.

At 5:40 a.m. the Coast Guard found a sweat shirt and a blue-and-white seat cushion, bearing the names of one of the missing men.

The items were located near buou 84, about 3.5 miles south of the bridge. At 7:30 a.m, the capsized boat was found in the same vicinity by a park police helicopter.

Friends of the two missing men said they shared ownership of the boat and had kept it at Hunt's address sout of Alexandria.

After his rescue early yesterday, Johnson was taken to Mount Vernon Hospital. He arrived about 1 a.m. and refused medical treatment, authorities there said.