Vance Brand, 72, a director of the Export-Import Bank in the Eisenhower administration, died Thursday at his winter home in Delray Beach, Fla. He had cancer.
Mr. Brand was born in Urbana, Ohio. He attended the University of Marysland and George Washington University, where he earned bachelor's and law degrees. Then he returned to Urbana, where he practiced law and was a banker.
In 1954, he moved to Washington when president Dwight D. Eisenhower appointed him to the board of directors of the Export-Import Bank. He remained on the board until 1959, when he was appointed managing director of the Development Loan Fund, which was absorbed into the Agency for International Development when it was organized in 1961.
From the time he left government in 1961 until 1975, when he retired to a farm in Urbana, Mr. Brand was a lawyer and businessman here and in Urbana.
Mr. Brand was a member of the boards of directors of the Koppers Co. Inc., Champaign National Bank, Grimes Manufacturing Co., and Mercy Memorial Hospital in Urbana.
In 1960, he received the alumni achievement award in law and international finance from George Washington University. He also was decorated by the governments of Chile and Spain.
Survivors include his wife, Katherine, of the homes in Urbana and Delray Beach; a daughter, Louise B. Tyler, of Miami, Fla., two sons, Joseph, of Great Falls, Va., and Charles Vance, of Melbourne Beach, Fla., and Urbana, and 13 grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to First Presbyterian Church, Urbana.