Eighteen owners of historic properties in the District have been awarded a total $353,594 in federal funds to rehabilitate their buildings.
Funds for the program come from the U.S. Department of the Interior's historic preservation grant-in-aid program. The grants are awarded each fiscal year to reimburse owners of buildings on the National Register of Historic Places or within historic districts listed on the register for up to 50 percent of the rehabilitation costs.
Among those awarded grants:
The new Hope Free Will Baptist Church at 754 11th St. SE, $6,500 to repoint the exterior brick of the church and to replace window and door frames.
According to Charity Davidson, D.C. Department of Housing and Community Development official who helps adminster the grants program locally, the church originally planned to cover the brick with synthetic stone.
Because the church is in the Capitol Hill Historic District, the project was reviewed by the Joint Committee on Landmarks. The committee rejected that plan and suggested that the church solve and the problem of leaking brick walls by repointing (repairing mortar). The committee staff helped the church prepare a grant application.
The National Council of Negro Women, $5,000 to aid in the restoration of the Mary McLeod Bethune House at 1318 Vermont Ave. NW, in the Logan Circle Historic District.
The house, where the black educator lived while she headed the National Youth Adminstration during the Roosevelt years, will become the national headquarters for the Council of Negro Women.
The Capitol Hill Day School, $65,075 to rehabilitate Dent School, a turn-of-the century public school at 210 S. Carolina Ave. SE, in the Capitol Hill Historic District. Administrators of the private school, which now operates in two church buildings, plan to move it into the rehabilitated Dent School before the end of 1979.
Charlotte Chapman, $14,055 to renovate a house at 519 Florida Ave. NW, in the LeDetroit Park Historic Distric. The house will be used as a community meeting place.
The National Union Building, $48,576 to rehabilitate the brick-and-stone commercial structure at 918 F St. NW. The buiilding, which is part of the Pennsylvania Avenue National Historic Site, houses a music box store that will remain in the refurbished structure, according to the building's owners, Sten P. Goldman and Charles F. Auster.
The Artifactory, $15,000 to reconstruct a pitched roof, an original feature of the commercial building in the Pennsylvania Avenue National Historic Site. The space under the roof will be used as an apartment for the building's owner. Dominic Cardella.
Gregory C. Gill $5,000 to rehabilitate the former home of labor leader Samuel Gompers. The home, at 2122 First St. NW, is owned by Gill.
Two homeowners in the 1800 block of Park Road NW-a row of turn-of-the-century homes listed on the National Register-also received grants for improvements to their residences. Dr. and mrs. T. Wilkins Davis, of 1843 Park Rd., were awarded $3,787, and Robert and Linda Low, of 1827 Park Rd., were awarded $3,750.
Other homeowners in historic districts who received grant awards were: Mr. and Mrs. Harry E. Gough Jr., of 325 T St. NW in the LeDetroit Park Historic District, $8,125; Mr. and Mrs. Henry Gaston, of 2118 13th St. SE in the Anacostia Historic District, $10,902; Loretta Payne, of 2217 14th St. SE, also in the Anacostia Historic District, $11,230; Mr. and Mrs. John Kinnard, of 1303 Maple View Plave SE in the Anacostia Historic District, $9,945;
Also, Joseph and Molly Donovan, of 1704 Swann St. NW in the Dupont Circle Historic District, $9,515; Jeanne Dangerfield and Elizabeth Dickson of 1702 Swann St. NW, also in the Dupont Circle Historic District, $8,509; David and Ann Sellin, of 1834 16th St. NW, in the 16th Street Historic District, $2,450; and Carol L. Jusenius and Burkhard von Rabenau, of 615 E St. SE in the Capitol Hill Historic District, $1,175.
The Oliver Carr Company was awarded $125,000 to aid in the preservation of the National Metropolitan Bank Building, the Albee-Keith Theatre Building and the Rhodes Tavern, all on 15th Street between F and G streets downtown.
An historic preservation official said these were not new grants, but had been carried over from grants made last year submitted final plans for the project. If the facades of the buildings are not retained, the money for the grants will not be released, according to city officials.
Anyone who accepts a grant must attach a covenant to the deed of the property agreeing to preserve it for a certain number of years-from 5 years for a grant under $20,000 to 20 years for a grant of more than $100,000.
Owners of historic properties who wish to apply for fiscal year 1980 grants should call Charity Davidson at the D. C. Department of Housing and Community Development, 724-0181.