The late Edward R. Murrow will become the first journalist to have federal parkland named after him, when a tiny triangle of land on Pennsylvania Avenue just west of the White House is dedicated to Murrow later this month.
Now known as Reservation 31 in National Park Service records, the little park is popular with noonday crowds and is just opposite the former U.S. Information Agency, which Murrow headed from 1961 to 1963.
In announcing the dedication, Interior Secretary Cecil D. Andrus praised Murrow as " the most admired reporter of our times, who developed new dimensions for radio and television news."
The park, at the intersection of 18th and H streets and Pennsylvania Avenue, will be dedicated at 11 a.m. April 25, Eric Sevareid, a close friend and associate of Murrow's until Murrow died in 1965, will take park in the ceremony as will Murrow's wife, Janet, Andrus announced.
A small bronze plaque imbedded in stone will review Murrow's radio and television career, including his dramatic radio broadcasts from London in 1940 during the Nazi blitz, his popular "Hear It Now" and "Person to Person" series on television.
President John F. Kennedy asked Murrow in 1960 to head USIA. USIA's successor, the International Communication Agency, is in the same building at 1776 Pennsylvania Avenue.