Retired Army Col. Harry A. Bishop, 91. an Army surgeon in both World Wars who later directed the University of Maryland's student health services, died Thursday at his home in Harker Heights, Tex. He had a heart ailment.

A physician and surgeon, Col. Bishop operated Army hospitals in France in World War I, and then served with occupation foreces in Germany. In World War II, he served in Africa and Italy. He was chairman of the U.S. Typhus Commission in Naples. Italy and an Army surgeon in the Mediterranean theater.

Col. Bishop received the Legion of Merit for his service as commanding officer of the Welch Convalescent Hospital in Daytona Beach, Fla., in 1945 and 1946.

Before his military retirement in 1948, Col. Bishop was on the retirement board at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

That same year, he was named director of the University of Maryland's student health services, a position he held until his retirement in 1957. He later joined the board of directors of the Army Distaff Foundation and set up the medical facilities at the Army Distaff Hall here.

He was born and reared in Washington. He attended Cornell University and then earned a medical degree from the University of Maryland in 1912. Before his Army commission he practiced medicine here with his father, Dr. Francis Bessant Bishop.

He lived in Washington until 1973, when he moved to Macon, Ga. About a year ago he moved to Harker Heights to live with a daughter.

Col. Bishop held the Bronze Star Medal, the Commander of the Crown of Italy and the Maltese Cross.

He attended St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington and Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in Bethesda.

He was a member of the American College of Surgeons. The American Medical Association and the National Rose Society.

His wife, Roberta Morgan Bishop, a former nurse, died in 1959.

Survivors include two daughters, Eleanor Powell, of the home in Harker Heights, and Jane Elizabeth Conner, of Macon; a son, Harry Jr., of San Marcos, Tex., 15 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.