Lorraine McManus Murphy, 59, who helped her husband found two fuel companies in the Washington area and who was active in church and school work, died Sunday in Alexandria Hospital. She had emphysema.
Mrs. Murphy was born in Chamberlain, S.D. She became an X-ray technician at the Northwestern Medical Institute and moved to the Washington area in 1943 after completing her studies. For several years she was an X-ray technician for physicians in private practice in this area.
In the early 1960s, she and her husband, Walter Murphy, founded the Capitol Fuel Co. in Washington and later the Vienna Fuel co. in Vienna. Mrs Murphy was active in the business for several years.
The Murphys lived in Silver Spring for many years and Mrs Murphy was one of the original members of the parish of St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church in Wheaton. She was the volunteer secretary of the church school and a member of the Altar Guild.
Mrs. Murphy spent part of each year at the family's summer home in Ligonier, Pa.
In addition to her husband, of the home in Vienna, survivors included a son, William, also of Vienna; two daughters, Mary, of the home, and Janet Law, of Cedarville, III.; three Vesta Hill, both of Alexandria, S.D., and Oonagh Perron, of sun City, Ariz., and two grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Alexandria Hospital, Alexandria, Va.