Christ G. Latsios, 85, who owned and operated restaurants in Alexandria for 40 years, died of congestive heart failure Sunday at Circle Terrace Hospital in Alexandria.
Mr. Latsios was born in Galatini in Greek Macedonia. He came to the United States in 1910 and worked in the railroad yards in Mason City, Iowa. He first moved to the Washington area during World War I, when he was machinist at Fort Belvoir. He lived briefly in Philadelphia after the war and then settled in Alexandria in 1921.
Mr. Latsios and his brother, Frank opened the 403 Virginia Lunch at 403 King St., Aleexandria, in 1921. Frank, Latsios later went back to Greece and in 1932 Christ Latsios opened the Majestic Restaurant at 622 King St. It was one of the first air-conditioned businesses in Alexandria.
As he prospered, Mr. Latsios opened the Virginia Grill near the Majestic. In 1949, he closed both businesses and opened the Virginian Restaurant at 519 King St. Its Cavalier Room was used for many civic and social gatherings and Archbishop Michael of the Greek Orthodox Church of North and South America was entertained there in the early 1950s.
Mr. Latsios operated the Virginian until the property was taken for an urban renewal project. He retired about 1961.
He was active in the Alexandria chapter of the American-Hellenic Educational Progressive Association. He also was a founder of the Galatini Benevolent Society, which helped bring electricity and running water to his hometown in Greece.
Mr. Latsios's first wife, Christine Gimourtas, a native of Galatini whom he married while living in Philadelphia, died in 1952.
Survivors include his wife, Maria, of the home in Alexandria; five children by his first marriage, Lena Latsios, of the home, Bessie Wallace, of Alexandria, Stella Adampoulos, of Salisbury, Md., Nick, of Arlington, and George, of the home; a stepdaughter, Catherine Hondros, of Silver Spring; his brother, Frank, of Galatini, Greece; nine grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
They family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions of the building fund of St. Katherine's Greek Orthodox Church of Northern Virginia, Falls Church.