William M. Stone, 89, a partner of the George H. Rucker companies of Northern Virginia, died Saturday at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital in Arlington after a stroke.
He joined the George H. Rucker realty and insurance firm in 1920 and directed Rucker's insurance division until retiring in 1967.
Mr. Stone was a director of the First Federal Savings and Loan of Arlington for 30 years. He had served as president of both the Arlington Rotary Club and Arlington Chamber of Commerce during the early 1940s.
He was a member of St. George's Episcopal Church in Arlington where he had been a vestryman and senior warden. He also had been a member of the choir.
He was a Mason and belonged to the Washington Golf and Country Club.
Mr. Stone was a native of guilford, Conn., and a 1911 graduate of Amherst College. He had lived in Arlington since 1920.
Survivors include his wife of 63 years, the former Claudia W. Rucker, of the home; a daughter, Elizabeth Allen, of Richmond; a son, Dr. William L., of Arlington; two brothers, Leverett C., of Demarest, N.J., and Elliot W., of Naples, Fla.; eight grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to St. George's Episcopal Church.