Douglas C. Murray, 62, a retired Army colonel and an employe of the Montgomery County Board of Education, died Tuesday at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda after a heart attack.
Col. Murray enlisted in the Army in the mid-1930s and was stationed at Fort Dix, N.J., until his appointment to the Military Academy at West Point, from which he graduated in 1942. He then saw combat in the infantry with the 102nd "Ozark" Division in Europe until 1945.
After the war, Col. Murray was stationed in this country and in Japan, Korea and the Philippines. He served in France with the Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers in Europe (SHAPE) before returning to the Pentagon.
Following his military retirement in 1967, Col. Murray worked for the Montgomery County Board of Education. He was working for the transportation division of the German School in Potomac at the time of his death.
He was born in Toronto, Ontario, and grew up in Haworth, N.J.
Col. Murray lived in Bethesda and was active in civic affairs there. In 1974 and 1975, he was a member of the Local Evaluation Committee to prevent the closing of Ashburton Elementary School, which is still open.
He was a member of the Montgomery County chapter of the Retired Officers Association.
His military decorations include the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star with two oak leaf clusters.
Survivors include his wife, the former Irene Rauer, and a daughter, Kim Irene, both of the home; another daughter, Ellen-Douglas, and a son, Bruce C., both of Rockville, and a brother, Robert, of Bergen County, N.J.