Olive H. Chandler, 83, a area resident for almost 40 years who was active in charitable work during World War II, died May 19 in Suburban Hospital in Bethesda after a stroke.
She came to Washington in 1940 when her husband, Henry P. Chandler, became the first director of the Administrative Office of the United States Courts. Mr. Chandler died in 1975.
Mrs. Chandler was volunteer head of child care and protection of the D.C. Civilian War Services office. One of the projects in which she was involved was the operation of a nursery near Union Station for children of traveling service families.
She also had belonged to the League of Women Voters in Washington and the Bethesda Community garden Club.
She was a member of Bradley Hills Presbyterian Church in Bethesda.
Mrs. Chander was born on a farm near Wellington, Kan. She graduated from Southwestern College in Winfield, Kan., taught briefly, and earned a master's degree in religious education at Drew Theological Seminary.
She sailed for Santiago, Chile, in 1923, where she spent five years directing a hostel for women students at the University of Chile and working for the Methodist Board of Foreign Missions.
After returning to this country she moved to Chicago, where she was a research assistant and then executive secretary of the Illinois Board of Public Welfare Commissioners.
She is survived by a daughter, Margaret Gibbons, of Bethesda; a brother, Ernest Hull, of Wichita, Kan.; three grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. CAPTION: Picture, OLIVE H. CHANDLER