Thelma Hughes Wing, 63, a retired Washington school teacher who was active in church organizations, died of cancer Sunday at Sibley Memorial Hospital.
Mrs. Wing taught the first grade at Carver Elementary School for eight years before retiring for reason of health in 1958. She had taught for 13 years in the Baltimore City school system before moving to Carver.
She was a 37-year member of Brown Memorial A.M.E. Church in Washington. She had served on the church's board of Christian education, was a member of the flower club, and belonged to the Daughters of Allen, the church hospitality club.
Mrs. Wing was born in Cambridge, Md. She was a graduate of Morgan State College in Baltimore and did graduate work in education at Catholic University.
She lived in Baltimore before moving to the Washington area in 1941.
She is survived by her husband, George O. Wing Jr., of the home in Washington; a brother, retired Army Sgt. James W. Hughes, of Columbia, and two sisters, Laura H. Milburn and Betty Brooker, both of Philadelphia.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions of the building fund of Brown Memorial A.M.E. Church. CAPTION: Picture, THELMA HUGHES WING, 1967 photo