A 60-year-old Kensington engineer was arraigned in D.C. Superior Court yesterday afternoon on charges that he paid a D.C. police informer to kill his estranged wife.

The informer promptly notified police and no attempt was made on the wife's life, according to court documents filed in the case.

George Namie of 2929 University Blvd., who works for Bechtel Corp. as an consulting engineer on the Metro system, was charged with conspiracy to commit murder and solicitation to commit a felony, according to police record.

He was released to the custody of the Bureau of Rehabilitation, a private organization often used by the court to act as custodians for defendant awaiting trial.

Namie and his wife, Jane, who lives in Arlington, have been separated for about six weeks after a year of marriage, according to Barry Stiller, Namie's attorney. Police refused to give any details of the alleged murder-for-hire scheme or any motive for Namie's wanting his wife killed.

According to court documents, Namie paid an informer $180 June 6 as a downpayment to kill his wife and the informer called police.

Two days later, Mrs. Namie was notified of the alleged plot and taken to a safe place. Later that same morning Namie allegedly called the informer and was told she had been killed, according to court documents.

Namie and the informer then allegedly then met later that afternoon at 13th Street and Military Road NW., so the informer could receive the rest of his money - $500.

Namie allegedly gave the informer $250 and promised to pay him the remainder later. Then as one of the two D.C. police detectives assigned to the case started toward Namie's to arrest him, Namie who was inside the car, "attempted to run over him with his vehicle." according to court documents.

Namie then allegedly sped off with the informer and 'pulled a small caliber pistol [on the informer] and accused [the informer] of being a "cop", the documents stated.

The informer jumped out of the car.

The following day, Namie called Montgomery County police to report a break-in at his home and when the officers arrived they arrested him on a warrant issued by D.C. police, according to Assistant U.S. Attorney Jim Shea at the arraignment.