The body of 15-year-old athlete and musician who was killed by a single bullet to the right side of the head was discovered by his parents yesterday in a wooded area near their Silver Spring home.

Blair Purcell Green of 307 Charlton Ct. had been dead for 12 hours before his body was found at 9:30 a.m. yesterday in a ditch 300 yards from the dead end of Lamberton Drive in the Kemp Mill subdivision, Montgomery County police said.

A 25-caliber gun belonging to the youth's father was later found by policed buried in leaves at the bottom of the 9-foot ditch.

Police said last night they suspect no foul play in the death. An autopsy is scheduled today by the Baltimore Medical Examiner's Office, and police scheduled a ballistics test on the pistol.

Police, neighbors and Green's friends gave the following account of events leading to the death of the youth, who was considered a promising hurlder, football player and trombonist at Northwood High School.

Green was last seen at 4:30 p.m., Wednesday by friends in the Kemp Mill neighborhood. Mark Dietz, 17, a close friend of Gree, said Green earlier that afternoon had showed hom and three other friends a handgun.

"He never brought one before," Dietz said. "It was just like a little novelty - look what I have."

Dietz said Green and two friends went into woods, near the Kemp Mill recreation center to shoot. "He's never gone shooting except that once," Dietz said.

Gene Mason, 15, one of the youths who went into woods with Green, said, "I showed him how to operate the gun. He didn't have it working right. I fired it into the creek and we went backk and played all day," Mason said.

"You can't play with a gun," Mason added. It's not a toy. You can be careless and have an accident.

Green and the two friends came out of the woods at 4:30 p.m., and the group disbanded, according to Dietz.

Green's parents, looking for their son, called Dietz yesterday and "we went into woods together," Dietz said.

Dietz said he thought Green might have decided to go into the ditch because that was the one place in the densely wooded area where a person could shoot without hitting anyone.

Dietz said Green's father, Penrose W. Green, "told his wife and me to wait and went up and saw Blair. He screamed, 'My God, Blair' and I went to the police."

Police said Green died at the scene and that there was no evidence that he had been pushed or dragged into the rectangular 10 by 18 foot ditch.

They said a jammed shell casing was found in the pistol.

Green would have been a junior at Northwood High School in September.

He was described by teachers and friends as an easy-going, above-average student and an exceptional football and track prospect.

"My God, what a shock," said Brady Straub, Green's football coach at Northwood. Straub said he was preparing to send letters yesterday to prospective varsity football players, including Green, informing them of summer practice dates when he learned of the youth's death.

"He was a first-class kid. He took criticism and praise well, and had definite goals for himself," Straub said.

Green played trombone in the school's marching band and was considered the "fourth or fifth" best track hurdler in the county, according to Northwood counselor Edward D. Rowse.

According to friends, Green wanted to be a musician.

Mason said Green "laughed a lot. He never got depressed or angry."

Green is survived by a brother and a sister.