Morris Shorder, 61, a retired official of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, died June 30 at his home in Silver Spring. He had a liver ailment.
He came to Washington in 1940 and worked for the Census Bureau for two years. After World War II service as an Army crytographer, Mr. Shroder joined the Veterans Administration in Buffalo, N.Y., as a rehabilitation counselor. He returned to Washington in 1950 and worked as a VA analytical statiscian for four years.
He joined the Army Surgeon General's office in 1954 and worked as a program analyst and administrator there for nine years.
Mr. Shroder began his career in housing in 1963 with the old Public Housing Administration, and became a deputy assistant commissioner of HUD's Housing Assistance Administration two years later. He retired as director of the division of publicly financed housing at HUD in 1975.
He then joined the National Corporation for Housing Partnerships, retiring as a vice president in 1978.
His government awards included the Superior Service Award from HUD and a Special Service Award from the VA.
He was a native of buffalo, a 1939 graduate of Cornell University, where he earned a degree in agriculture, and a 1955 graduate of Georgetown University's law school.
Mr. Shroder was a member of Ohr Kodesh Congregation in Chevy Chase.
He is survived by his wife, Florence D., and a son, David L., both of the home; another son, Mark D., of Reno; Nev.,; a daughter, Susan Lasser, of Cambridge, Mass., and two sisters, Belle Schiller and Rose Gelman, both of Buffalo.