A Landover, Md., man sought in the slaying of a 19-year-old youth last Saturday and the alleged terrorizing of the victim's Washington neighborhood, surrendered to police yesterday and was charged with homicide.

Investigators said the Darrell Woodson was shot by a gunman who was looking for another man. Accused in the case is Tyrone Barnett, 19, of 4129 Warner Ave.

Barnett telephoned D.C. homicide detectives yesterday after he read a story in The Washington Post recounting the efforts of residents of the Woodland Terrace public housing project in Southeast to persuade police to make an arrest in the case.

According to police, Barnett asked them what he should do and was advised to turn himself in because "a lot of people with guns are out looking for you."

For nearly a week after Woodson was shot, a man believed to be Barnett regularly returned to the scene of the crime in the same blue Buick Electra from which a gunman fired the fatal shots, investigators said.

During one such visit, neighbors said, a D.C. police officier was present taking information about the case. One resident contended that when the car was pointed out to the policeman, he shrugged his shoulders and replied, "I don't have enough evidence to do anything."

Meanwhile, the man in the car continued making verbal threats against Woodland residents, shouting that more would die if he did not find the man who had aroused his anger in a dice game.

Woodson, who lived at 907 Tuckaway Terr., Oxon Hill, was shot to death while standing in the front yard of a friend's home waiting to go to a concert at the Capital Centre.

Witnesses said that Woodson was standing with a youth who had been involved in the dice game when a man believed to be Barnett and two companions approached them in the car.

Youth with Woodson went indoors after recognizing the car, leaving Woodson alone in the front yard. Two of three shots fired from the car struck Woodson in the chest.The youth, a graduate of the Washington Street Academy, died several hours later at the Greater Southeast Community Hospital.

On Thursday night, about 100 irate Woodland residents gathered to protest both the frequent return to their neighborhood of the man they believed was the killer and the way police had handled the case. Although police had a warrant for Barnett's arrest, they said they had been unable to find him.

Yesterday, Woodland residents expressed relief that a suspect had been arrested and arraigned in D.C. Superior Court.

"It's been a bad week all around," one resident said. "At least part of our problems have been solved."

Ellen Lee, who lives in the Woodland complex near the apartment where Woodson was slain, echoed the sentiments of several other residents when she said she felt "only somewhat better at this point."

"Only one guy has turned himself in. There were others in the car. The concern now is whether the others will carry on the vendetta or what," she said. Among the residents' complaints was that police were not providing them with adequate protection.

A meeting has been scheduled between Woodland residents and police to discuss the problem.