The night manager of a fast food restaurant on a busy thoroughfare in Falls Church was fatally wounded Saturday night by a shot fired through the restaurant's plate glass window from outside.

The unusual incident, which occurred about 9:50 p.m. at the Burger King restaurant at 700 W. Braod St., a few blocks from the intersection with Lee Highway, was reported still under investigation last night by Falls Church city police.

The victim was identified as Ray Elton Turner, 28, of 1612 Beacontree Rd., Reston. A friend of the victim said she understood from police that investigators were leaning toward the theory that the shooting was deliberate, rather than accidental. However, no official confirmation could be obtained last night.

Describing homicide as rare in Falls Church, a two-square-mile city of about 9,200 residents, Fairfax County Commonwealth's Attorney Robert F. Horan Jr. said he could recall none there in the past 10 years.

According to restaurant personnel, Turner had just sat down for dinner in the restaurant's dining area when the fatal shot was fired. Four employes and one customer were in the restaurant.

Two of the employes were in a back room, one was in the kitchen and the fourth was about to leave. Turner was seated on a fiberglass bench near the restaurant's exit. The shot made what was described as a small neat hole in the window about 10 yards from where Turner was sitting before striking him in the chest.

The window did not shatter and no one else was reported injured in the incident.

Turner was taken to Arlington Hospital. He was reported dead when he arrived there about 20 minutes after the shooting.

Terry McDermott, 20, a friend of Turner's, said she had expected to meet him at the restaurant about 1 a.m. after he had finished work.

When she arrived, she said, she found police at the scene and learned what had happened.

Describing Turner as a man without enemies, she said she could offer no explanation for the shooting.

Burger King manager Brian Way said he believed the fatal shot had been fired from a distance of five to 10 yards from the restaurant window. Two Falls Church city policy detectives who have been assigned to the case could not be reached last night for comment.