Retired Army Col. Harold David Kehm, 80, who headed the Army's Strategic Intelligence School here from 1950 until his first retirement in 1954, died Wednesday at Manor Care in Wheaton after a stroke.
Shortly after he retired, Col. Kehm was recalled to active duty for intelligence coordinating activities with the Central Intelligence Agency. He held that assignment until his second retirement in 1960.
A career officer, he had served with the War Department General Staff, the Joint War Plans Committee and the Psychological Warfare Division here in the early part of World War II.
Later in the war, he was with Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces (SHAEF) and then was an intelligence officer with the 9th Army in Europe.
Col. Kehm was born in Allentown, Pa. He attended Pennsylvania State College before entering the Military Academy at West Point, where he graduated in 1923. He later received a master's degree from Pennsylvania State College.
Before World War II, he had served at several posts in this country and in the Panama Canal Zone and taught at West Point and at the Artillery School at Fort Sill, Okla.
After the war, Col. Kehm taught at the Command and General Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. In 1950 he was sent to the U.S. Embassy in Ireland, where he was the Army attache for four years.
Col. Kehm also had served in the Middle East, Southeast Asia and India. He had been a senior adviser at SEATO and CENTO conferences.
His decorations included the Legion of Merit with two Oak Leaf clusters, the Bronze Star, the French Croix de Guerre with palm and the Red Star of the Soviet Union.
He was the author of articles on numerous subject, including the field artillery, psychological warfare and intelligence training methods.
Since retiring from military service, he had been assistant executive director for the Reenactment of the First Battle of Manassas and a consultant on military strategy.
Col. Kehm was a member of the Military History Institute, the Military Order of the World Wars, the Uniformed Services Retirees Group, the Torch Club, the Fossils, and St. John's Episcopal Church in Bethesda.
He was vice chairman of the Montgomery County Commission on Aging.
His first wife, the former Mary M. Early, died in 1963. His second wife Agnes M. Everett, died four years later.
He is survived by his third wife, Dorothy, of the home in Chevy Chase; a son, Richard, of Silver Spring; a daughter, Mary Katherine Parash of Southampton, N.Y.; a sister, Florence Shaffer of Fremont, Ohio, and three grandchildren.