Marguerite H. Linden, 86, a resident of McLean and the wife of a brigadier general, died of cancer Tuesday at Fairfax Hospital.
Mrs. Linden, who had lived in this area for more than 30 years, was born in Stevens Point, Wis. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin and became a teacher.
She went to the Panama Canal Zone to take a teaching assignment, and there she met Henning Linden. He was stationed in the Zone as an Army officer and is now a retired brigadier general. They were married in 1922.
The Lindens were stationed at posts in the United States and the Philippines before World War II. During the war, Mrs. Linden was a Red Cross driver in Monterey, Calif. She lived in Winnetka, Ill., where she had family, while her husband served in the Aleutians and Europe.
In 1946, Mrs. Linden joined her husband in Salzburg, Austria, where he was stationed with U.S. occupation forces. She helped start a program in which American citizens donated clothes and other items for Austrians who had been impoverished by the war.
In 1948, the Lindens were transferred to Fort Belvoir. Gen. Linden retired in 1952 and they established their home in McLean.
Mrs. Linden was a member of St. Dunstan's Episcopal Church in McLean and a member of the Potomac unit of the Herb Society of America.
In addition to her husband, of the home, survivors include a son, retired Army Col. John H. Linden, of Fairfax, and two grandchildren.