Herbert W. Wells, 77, a Prince George's banker and businessman who was chairman of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission from 1957 to 1963, died Sunday in his College Park home after an apparent heart attack.
Mr. Wells was appointed to the commission in 1947. At the time he retired, he had served on the commission longer than any other person. He also was the commission's last part-timechairman.
During his years as chairman, Mr. Wells advocated stronger zoning laws for Prince George's County, expansion of the highway system between Baltimore and Washington, and greater land acquisition for public parks.
Mr. Wells was a native of Martinsville, Va., and had lived in College Park since 1931. A Democrat, he served on the College Park City Council in the 1940s.
He joined the family business of G. T. Wells & Sons, a fuel oil distributorship, in the early 1930s and was president of the concern at the time of his death. He had served on the board of directors of Citizens Bank of Maryland since 1939 and had been a vice president of the bank since 1952.
Over the years Mr. Wells had served as president of the Prince George's County Historical Society, the Prince George's Chamber of Commerce, and the Prince George's Kiwanis Club, of which he was a charter member.
He is survived by his wife, Evelyn, of the home; a son, Gordon T. II, of Hyattsville; four brothers, David E., of College Park, Henry of Gaithersburg, and Robert L. and Morris W., both of Rockville; five sisters, Margaret Payne of Pawleys Island, S.C., Gertrude Robertson of Bethesday, Lillian Ward of Rockville, and Catherine Stevens and Mary Robertson, both of Gaithersburg, and two grandchildren.