A 15-year-old Washington youth who had been released from a D.C. correctional facility after serving time for the premeditated murder of a Washington socialite in 1976 has been charged with the slaying of a Northwest Washington man.

According to D.C. police, the youth fired a single shot Tuesday into the chest of Angel O. Gonzales, 27, of 1825 New Hampshire Ave. NW, after Gonzales refused to hand over his money when the boy confronted him in the 1900 block of 17th Street NW.

The youth, convicted with three other juveniles in the fatal assault on Washington society matron Gladys Werlich, was arrested Wednesday. A companion of Gonzales, who was walking with him at the time of the 1:10 a.m. attack, gave police a description of the assailant.

When the 15-year-old and another youth approached Gonzales and his friend and demanded the money, Gonzales' companion ran off with the second youth in pursuit, according to police.

The companion told police that Gonzales and the 15-year old argued over whether Gonzales was going to give him any money and then the youth fired a handgun. He then fled.

Police said the youths got nothing in the robbery attempt. The second youth still is being sought.

The 15-year-old appeared at a closed hearing in the District of Columbia's juvenile court yesterday before Judge Harriett Taylor. Both the judge and the prosecutor in the case, Assistant Corporation Counsel Nan Huhn, declined to comment afterwards.

It could not be determined last night when the 15-year-old was released from the D.C. youth correctional facility. Police said he served about a year to 18 months for his role in the Werlich killing.

The youth, 12 at time of the Werlich assault, was convicted after he gave police a detailed description of how he and the three other youths spent the morning of Jan. 13, 1976, seeking robbery victims.

Mrs. Werlich was knocked to the ground in the 1600 block of Corcoran Street NW during an unsuccessful attempt to steal her pocketbook. She died six days later as a result of head injuries suffered in her fall.

The youth said that the four asailants had been eating snacks at a McDonald's restaurant and as they left the restaurant spotted "a lady walking down the street by the alley." The youth said that one of his friends tried to snatch Mrs. Werlich's purse and that a second youth knocked her to the ground.

The 12-year-old was convicted of first-degree murder in the assault even though it was revealed at his trial that Mrs. Werlich died only after her physician turned off a respiratory machine that was keeping her alive. The physician said at the time that the assault had left Mrs. Werlich's brain in a "vegetative state."

The youth was being held last night at the D.C. junvenile receiving home.