A Prince William County building inspector under investigation for allegedly approving nonexistent and incomplete work on new homes has resigned, county officials said yesterday.

Inspector Charles J. Wright, who has been on the job nearly six years, quit Friday, citing "personal reasons," according to county construction services chief Charles Vincent.

No criminal charges have been filed against Wright.

Commonwealth's Attorney Paul Ebert said yesterday the first arrest warrants growing out of a probe into the building inspector's office will soon be issued. Wright's work came under scrutiny in connection with an investigation into allegations that housing developers bribed building inspectors in fast-growing Prince William County, officials said.

Police are looking into allegations concerning Wright's inspection of new homes in the county including the approval he supposedly gave to a house foundation that was never laid.

But officials have acknowledged that the probe had been widened to include several builders and inspectors, but have declined to be more specific. i

Police Inspector Dave Lavergeld said yesterday "there will be more than one person charged. We're looking at builders and building inspectors.

One of the companies under scrutiny is Tray-Marc Construction Company of Dumfries, which built homes in the affluent Montclair Country Club area. The Virginia State Commerce Department, citing "gross negligence," last summer stripped Tray-Marc of its state license to do business as a contractor. The company's president, Stephen J. Siegel, at one time one of the county's largest builders, reportedly has left the state and is one of those under investigation.