A 21-year-old Southeast Washington man pleaded guilty in D.C. Superior Court yesterday to the murder last March of an 18-year-old Georgetown University woman student in a clothing store where she worked part time.

In a signed confession presented to Chief Judge H. Carl Moultrie I, George B. Kebe described in detail how he stabbed Maureen McGrath with a pair of scissors last March 10 after strangling her with a scarf. Strangulation was the cause of death.

In the confession, Kebe said he went into Regent Place at 1641 Wisconsin Ave. NW and tried on some slacks. He took them to McGrath who began to write a sales slip. When she turned her back, Kebe said he "yoked her, then I started choking her with my hands."

"Then I dragged her into the utility closet . . .," Kebe said in the confession. "I took the scarf and I put it around her neck and I just started to choke her . . . I didn't know that she was dead, so I went out and I got the scissors. . ."

In the six-page statement Kebe made to homicide detective David A. Forbes three days after the murder, he said he caught a cab near the clothing store and went to his Southeast home at 2363 Ainger Place, where he waited to hear news of the event on television.

Kebe also has pleaded guilty to the robbery of Baracat Imports, a jewelry shop at 2030 T St. NW, three days after the murder.

According to the courts records, Kebe entered the store and asked to be shown an assortment of engagement rings. After examining and discussing the jewelry for an hour, Kebe grabbed several items from a counter and ran out of the store.

Kebe was chased by the store owner, Gabriel Baracat, around the corner and into the Empress Restaurant at 1875 Connecticut Ave. NW, where Baracat helped subdue and hold Kebe until police arrested him, according to court records.

After his arrest, according to court files, Kebe stated to police, "You heard about the Georgetown murder? My conscience has been bothering me. I want to confess to it. Do you think we can make a deal?"

Kebe, who also pleaded guilty to embezzlement yesterday, was awaiting a court hearing on the embezzlement case at the time McGrath was killed. In that case Kebe was alleged to have stolen money from his former employer, the Dart Drug store at 1901 Wisconsin Ave. NW.

In a plea agreement signed by assistant U.S. attorney John P. Hume and James F. Foyner, Kebe's attorney, Kebe pleaded guilty to felony, murder, robbery and embezzlement.

Kebe, who is being held without bond, was ordered to return to court on Jan. 31 for sentencing.