Richard Fuller Shryock, 64, a former official of the Patent and Trademark Office who later specialized as a trademark consultant to law firms, died Sunday at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda after a heart attack.
Mr. Shryock joined the old U.S. Patent Office, now the Patent and Trademark Office, in 1947 as an examiner. He later became division supervisor and assistant to the director of trademark examining operations. In 1957, he was appointed to the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, from which he retired in 1975.
He then entered the private practice of law as a trademark consultant to law firms in this area and in New York City.
Mr. Shryock, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Baltimore. He earned a bachelor's degree from the University of North Carolina and a law degree from George Washington University.
During World War II, he served in the Pacific Theater with the old Army Air Corps.
Mr. Shryock was a member of the U.S. Trademark Association, the American Patent Law Association, the Patent Office Society, the D.C. and Maryland Bar Associations and the Kenwood Golf and Country Club in Bethesda.
Survivors include his wife, the former Mary Dickson, of Bethesda; a son, Richard P., of Paris, France; a daughter, Mary D., of Bethesda; a brother, Henry S. Jr., of Suitland and a sister, Margaret Claggett of Baltimore.
The family suggest that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Endowment Fund of Cedar Lane Unitarian Church in Bethesda.