Retired Army Maj. Gen. Roscoe C. Crawford, 92, former deputy chief of the Corps of Engineers and commander of Fort Belvoir, died Wednesday at Alexandria Hospital after a heart attack.
He was named assistant chief of Army engineers in 1946, advanced later to deputy chief and retired here in 1949. He lived in Alexandria.
Gen. Crawford had been assigned to Fort Belvoir as a battalion commander in 1938. He commanded the post in 1940-41 and was commandant of the Engineer School there from 1940 to 1943.
He was born in Bridgewater, Pa., and grew up in Beaver Falls, Pa. He attended Allegheny College in Meadowville, Pa., and graduated from the Military Academy at West Point in 1912.
Gen. Crawford had several tours of duty here, including the War Department General Staff from 1928 to 1932. He was district engineer in Detroit and Honolulu, before returning for service at Fort Belvoir.
In 1941, he was detached for service in London as a military observer. From 1943 to 1946, he was division engineer for the Missouri River federal engineering division, which covered 10 Midwestern states with offices in Omaha.
Gen. Crawford, who had served on a number of national and international boards, held the Distinguished Service Medal and the Legion of Merit.
He was a charter member of the Society of American Military Engineers.
He is survived by his wife, the former Nancy Johnson, of Alexandria; a son, retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Roscoe C. Jr., of Colorado Springs; a daughter, Nancy C. Welling of Arlington; a sister, Mrs. J. W. Thomas of Alexandria, six grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.