District police arrested a 49-year-old Bladensburg man early yesterday, charging him with fatally shooting a woman as she started to drive away from him in her car, which spun out of control and rammed into a church where 300 were worshipping.

Raymond McCoy Robertson, listed at 4261 58th Ave., was arrested after police encountered him at George Washington University Hospital where the slain woman, 37-year-old Mary Elizabeth Jackson, of 2415 14th St. NE, had been taken after the shooting. Police said Robertson had gone to the hospital apparently to inquire about Jackson's condition.

Officers escorted Robertson to police headquarters, questioned him about the shooting and then charged him with homicide.

He was released on personal recognizance yesterday but ordered to return to D.C. Superior Court today for assignment to third-party custody. A preliminary hearing for Robertson is scheduled for Jan. 24.

Police investigating the shooting said Jackson, a Metro supervisor and mother of six children apparently got into an argument with Robertson, a longtime acquaintance, while the two were at Delaware Avenue and I Street SW Monday at about 8:15 p.m.

Jackson attempted to drive away and Robertson, standing on the sidewalk, pulled a pistol and fired into the car, police said. The car went out of control and crashed into a wall of nearby Friendship Baptist Church where 300 persons were attending a revival service. No one in the church was injured.

Jackson was shot twice, police said, once in the head and once in the neck. A city ambulance took Jackson from the scene, and she was pronounced dead at George Washington University Hospital.

D.C. Medical Examiner James L. Luke attributed the cause of death to "multiple gunshot wounds to the head, brain and neck" and not the impart of the car crash against the church.

Elsewhere in the city, a 58-year-old man died early yesterday after suffering a severe beating during an apparent robbery near Seventh and Jefferson streets NW, police said.

John Stith, of 700 Jefferson St., was knocked to the ground and beaten near his home at about 4 p.m. Monday, police said. When officers arrived, his wallet was missing. Stith was taken to Washington Hospital Center, where he was admitted with severe lacerations of the head and body.

He died about 3 a.m. yesterday. A few hours later, police arrested Paul Allen Archie, 22, of 622 Jefferson St. NW, and charged him with homicide.