Fannie S. Kallivas, 81, who for 40 years ran the Aloupis Company, a well-known Greek Grocery store in Washington before it closed in 1965, died Thursday in Sibley Memorial Hospital after a stroke.
The Aloupis Company was a family concern founded by Mrs. Kallivas's father in 1921. From 1940 until going out of business, the store was located at 916 9th St. NW.
Mrs. Kallivas took over direction of the store in the mid-1920s and saw it become a popular shopping location for Near Easterners working on Embassy Row, Greek immigrants, and Washingtonians who wanted to learn the mysteries of Eastern cooking.
Besides stocking the rare, exotic and essential in Greek and Middle East foods and spices, Mrs. Kallivas kept a ready supply of sage advice and a large library of cook books to help her customers in their quest for preparing tasty dishes.
Mrs. Kallivas was active in the Washington Greek community. She was a member of Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral and a member of the Philoptohos Society (Friends of the Poor).
During World War II she had been active in the American Red Cross and in Greek War Relief projects.
Mrs. Kallivas was born in Sparta, Greece, and came to this country at the age of 14. She lived in New England for about two years before coming to the Washington area. She was a resident of the District of Columbia.
Her husband, Steve S. Kallivas, died in 1972.
Survivors include two daughters, Dorothy Ballas and Katherine Kallivas, both of Washington, and a sister, Jennie Varoutsos of Arlington.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral building fund.