Names of many of Washington's schools reflect the contributions of blacks to the city and nation. Each week during Black History Month, The District Weekly will identify these schools, as well as other landmarks. tThe following D.C. public senior high schools, career development centers and special education schools are named for black leaders. SENIOR HIGH SCHOOLS Cardozo, 13th and Clifton streets NW: Named for educator Francis L. Cardozo, born in 1836, who was a member of the Constitutional Convention of South Carolina and served as secretary of state and treasurer of the state of South Carolina. He was also a clerk in the U.S. Treasury Department and a teacher and principal in D.C. public schools. He was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of South Carolina, though he did not practice, and was ordained by the Ecclesiastical Council of North Church in New Haven, Ct. oHe died in 1903.
Dunbar, 3rd and O streets NW: Named for Paul Laurence Dunbar, born in 1872, the first black poet to gain recognition in the United States. His first books of poetry, "Oak and Ivy" and "Majors and Minors," were not immediately successful, but reviews were favorable enough to encourage him. nHe is probably best known for being the first poet to use black dialect in his work and for another volume, "Lyrics of a Lowly Life." Other of his works are "Lyrics of Love and Laughter," "Lyrics of Sunshine and Shadow," and "Complete Poems," along with four novels and four volumes of short stories. He died in 1906.
H.D. Woodson, 55th and Eads streets NE: Named for Howard D. Woodson, born in 1876, a civic and structural engineer for 60 years. He was an active resident of the District for 55 years, concentrating his efforts in the far Northeast section. He led efforts to provide schools, water and sewer systems, adequate street lighting, streets, and parks. He successfully sponsored a movement to build a bridge over the Anacostia River at East Capitol Street, rather than at Massachusetts Avenue, as had been proposed. He was also responsible for the widening and surfacing of Benning Road from a one-lane highway, and secured the help of the Federation of Civic Associations and the Far Northeast Council to have the entire far Northeast area rezoned. During the Depression, he organized a chapter of a national group to help black merchants find work. He also organized and was first president of the Business and Professional Men's Association in far Northeast and the Northeast Boundary Civic Association. He died in 1962. CAREER DEVELOPMENT CENTERS Bell, Hiatt Place between Irving Street and Park Road NW: Named for George Bell, one of three freed slaves who built the first school for blacks here in 1807. The school was later used as a dwelling for several years and reopened as a school in 1818, managed by the Resolute Beneficial Society, an association of free blacks, of which Bell was a member. He died here about 1873.
M.M. Washington, O Street between First and North Capitol streets NW: Named for Margaret Murray Washington, born in 1865, an educator and the wife of Booker T. Washington. She was dean of the women's department of Tuskegee Institute in Alabama and organized the Woman's Club of the Institute. Dorothy Hall, a home for girls' industries at Tuskegee, was erected largely through her efforts. She supervised the industries there for 25 years.She twice served as president of the National Association of Colored Women's Clubs and was president of the International Council of Women of the Darker Races of the World. She died in 1925. SPECIAL EDUCATION SHCOOLS AND PROGRAMS Bundy Alternative School, 429 O St. NW: Named for James F. Bundy, born in Rappahannock County, Va., in 1862. He was an attorney who served as secretary-treasurer of Howard University Law School from 1890 until his death in 1914, and an examiner in the chancery of the D.C. Supreme Court. As a member and secretary of the D.C. Board of Education, he fostered many improvements, such as the beginning of the Armstrong Manual Training School and higher qualifications and pay for teachers. He was a sponsor of the compulsory education law in the District.
Grimke Job Development Center, Vermont Avenue and T Street NW: Named for Archibald H. Grimke, born in 1849, an attorney, author and American consul to Santo Domingo, who became a prominent figure in black affairs. He was editor of the Hub, a black weekly newspaper in Boston, and he wrote many articles against racial prejudice and discrimination and published pamphlets on the history of the anti-slave movement. He is noted for writing two biographies: "The Life of William Lloyd Garrison, the Abolitionist," and "The Life of Charles Sumner, the Scholar in Politics." He was president of the American Negro Academy. He died here in 1930.
Mamie D. Lee, Fort Totten Drive and Hamilton Street NE: Named for Mamie D. Lee, born here in 1920, who worked in the Navy Department until she suffered the loss of most of her eyessight. At the age of 41 she began a new career of community activity, concentrating on the education and life of handicapped children. She was chairman of the Exceptional Child Committee of the Board of Managers, D.C. Congress of Parents and Teachers. Working at Stevens School, she initiated the idea of a teacher's aide program. She also established a library for the Council of Exceptional Children in the office of the Director of Special Services. She died in 1966.
Wormley, 3331 Prospect St. NW: Named for businessman James Wormley, born in 1819, proprietor of the Wormley Hotel, which was on the southwest corner of 15th and H streets NW. He died in 1884.