John Marshall, 75, a retired trade association executive and former chapter president of the American Association of Retired Persons, died Sunday at Georgetown University Hospital. He had cancer.
Mr. Marshall came to Washington in 1951 and was named executive vice president of the National Association of Dairy Equipment Manufacturers. Five years later he became executive vice president of the Beverage Machinery Manufacturers Association, holding both posts until retiring in 1971.
He was president of Washington chapter No. 1261 of the A.A.R.P. for the years 1973 to 1974. He also had served two terms as president of the Cornell Club of Washington and two terms as director and secretary of the National Association of Trade Association Executives.
He was a member of the National Association Executive Club, having served on its board of directors and as its secretary from 1963 to 1964. He was chairman of the National Industrial Council's Manufacturing Trade Association Group in 1966.
He was a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and a member of the Kenwood Golf and Country Club.
Mr. Marshall was a native of Waterloo, N.Y., and earned both bachelor's and master's degrees in marketing and agricultural at Cornell University.
He was a marketing specialist with the Agriculture Department and economist with State of California while living in San Francisco in the late 1920s and early 1930s. He then worked for trade organizations in New York City before coming to Washington.
Mr. Marshall lived in Washington before moving to Bethesda in 1962.
His first wife, Elvita, died in the 1950s.
Survivors include his wife, the former Marguerite E. Sandle of Bethesda; a daughter by his first marriage, Janet Taylor of Ashland, Va.; two adopted sons, Brian L. Marshall of Washington, and Dr. Terence E. Marshall of Paris, France; two sisters, Florence Suydam of Ithaca, N.Y., and Sarah Marshall of Waterloo, N.Y.; two grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.
The family suggests that expressions of sympathy be in the form of contributions to the Arthritis Foundation or the American Heart Association